The Hunters Inn holds pride of place within one of Exmoor's most outstanding areas of natural beauty, the Heddon Valley, one of the deepest in England. The inn has been a focal point for both locals and visitors looking for a place to stay since the mid 19th century, when the Berry family first started serving beer from their kitchen. The original inn started life as a thatched cottage but in 1895 was almost totally destroyed by fire. Over the following few years it was rebuilt in its current present day form.
The Hunters Inn owned large tracks of land in and around the Heddon valley and was one of the largest employers in the area. It was regularly frequented by the 'well heeled' and a number of famous people crossed its threshold. In more recent times a large part of the Hunters' estate was sold off to the National Trust; the Heddon Valley National Trust centre is adjacent to the Hunters Inn.
The Inn has immense charm and character and is just a short walk away from the sea at Heddon's Mouth. The mile-long footpath past the inn down to the sea is remarkable, the cliffs towering high above you on either side. The inn is set in over three acres of landscaped gardens with five lakes, that are accessible by residents and visitors to the inn, and bordered on one side by the rivers Heddon and Blackwater that flow down to the sea at Heddon's mouth. There is an abundance of local wildlife including stags and deer.